- 1 What is Guatemala like to visit?
- 2 How safe is Guatemala for tourists?
- 3 What are three major tourist attractions in Guatemala?
- 4 What is the most visited place in Guatemala?
- 5 Is Guatemala City worth visiting?
- 6 What Guatemala is famous for?
- 7 Why is Guatemala so dangerous?
- 8 What can you not do in Guatemala?
- 9 How safe is Guatemala 2020?
- 10 What is the best time of year to visit Guatemala?
- 11 Can you use US dollars in Guatemala?
- 12 What is the best thing about Guatemala?
- 13 What is the safest zone in Guatemala City?
- 14 How many days do you need in Guatemala?
- 15 What airlines fly direct to Guatemala?
What is Guatemala like to visit?
Guatemala boasts a rich Mayan culture. There are colonial towns full of charm and rainforests full of life. There are ancient ruins, lovely lakes, and rumbling volcanoes. If you like adventure or the pure gratification of traveling off the regular path, Guatemala is worth trying out.
How safe is Guatemala for tourists?
Guatemala has one of the highest violent crime rates in Latin America, one of the world’s highest homicide rates and a very low arrest and detention rate. Most incidents of violent crime are drug- and gang-related. They occur throughout the country, including in tourist destinations.
What are three major tourist attractions in Guatemala?
12 Top-Rated Tourist Attractions in Guatemala
- Mayan Ruins of Tikal. Mayan Ruins of Tikal.
- Antigua Guatemala. Antigua Guatemala | Photo Copyright: Lana Law.
- Lake Atitlán (Lago de Atitlán)
- Chichicastenango Market.
- Monterrico and the Biotopo Monterrico-Hawaii (Nature Reserve)
- Pacaya Volcano, Antigua.
- Semuc Champey.
What is the most visited place in Guatemala?
Tikal. Tikal is Guatemala’s most famous and popular visitor attraction, and for good reason. As the capital city of the Mayan classic period, Tikal is one of the largest archaeological sites in Mesoamerica, and its enormous causeways and imposing pyramids attract tourists from all over the world.
Is Guatemala City worth visiting?
It’s not often that visitors to a relatively small country deliberately avoid the nation’s capital but, with Guatemala City, that is very much the case. Guatemala City also has a reputation for crime and, it is true, after dark this is not a city where visitors will want to go for a casual stroll.
What Guatemala is famous for?
Guatemala is best known for its volcanic landscape, fascinating Mayan culture and the colorful colonial city of Antigua, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. But this small Central American country has a wealth of homegrown produce and talent.
Why is Guatemala so dangerous?
According to the US Department of State, Guatemala’s high murder rate is caused by four principal factors: an increase in drug trafficking; a growing prevalence of gang-related violence; a heavily armed civilian population; and a weak and incompetent police/judicial system.
What can you not do in Guatemala?
11 Things You Should Never Do in Guatemala, Ever
- Don’t take photos of locals without asking.
- Don’t get scammed at the border.
- Don’t skip Guatemala City.
- Don’t assume ATMs will be around.
- Don’t wear sandals to Tikal.
- Don’t be scared of the police.
- Don’t expect good coffee to be ever-present.
- Don’t assume everyone speaks Spanish.
How safe is Guatemala 2020?
Guatemala is not the safest country to visit. It has extremely high crime rates, of both violent and petty crime. You should be vigilant and take all possible precaution measures in order to minimize the risk of something wrong happening.
What is the best time of year to visit Guatemala?
The best time to visit Guatemala is during the dry season, which runs from November to April. However, the country has a pleasant climate that lends itself to year -round trips, with temperatures between 72°F and 90°F.
Can you use US dollars in Guatemala?
The US dollar is by far the most widely accepted foreign currency in Guatemala; that said, it is not a semi-official one, and you can ‘t get by with a fistful of greenbacks and no quetzals. Euros and other foreign currencies are tricky to cash; try foreign-owned hotels or stores.
What is the best thing about Guatemala?
With active volcanoes, a vibrant indigenous culture, and colorful markets, there are so many incredible things to do in Guatemala. Known for active volcanoes, charming colonial towns, vibrant indigenous cultures, and ancient ruins, Guatemala is a place we’ve been itching to travel for years.
What is the safest zone in Guatemala City?
Zone 10 is the safest area of the city.
How many days do you need in Guatemala?
The gateway to Guatemala, Antigua is the perfect place to start or end your Guatemalan trip, after a visit to the famous Tikal ruins. Three to five days is the ideal time to spend in Antigua; wandering the streets, climbing the volcanoes, soaking up the traditions and brushing up on your Spanish.
What airlines fly direct to Guatemala?
Flights from El Salvador to Guatemala City From San Salvador, there are 4 airlines that have direct services to Guatemala City, which are Avianca (Star Alliance), Iberia (Oneworld), TAG Airlines and Volaris Costa Rica.